Friday, September 9, 2011

And the Classes (and Sailing) begin!

This week Wednesday in the late afternoon I began my Children's Pottery class for this season.  I can't really say year, because they run from September thru May.  

My children were really happy to be back,  and I was happy to have them.   I have had Makayla,
Lauren, and Corinna  (the only three that showed up so far) since they've been in the third grade.
Now they're proud fifth graders.    The subject of my class project this week was,  "What we did over the summer."    I found templates at Michaels that were perfect to make photo frames out of clay.
We rolled slabs of clay with the slab roller,  then cut out the frames.    The kids decorated their
frame with the theme.   Lauren's family went to Germany over the summer,   Corinna went to Busch Gardens,  and to coastal North Carolina to stay in a beach house.   Makayla said she went to Canada.   I made a frame telling the story about the bear that showed up at my cabin.

Hopefully the rest of the children and maybe even some new ones?  will show up next week.

The City of Largo has contacted me to say that they have three adults signed up to learn pottery.
I will be teaching classes there on Mondays.   I am just about to get ready to go there today to see if they have everything we'll need to begin classes.   The Largo Community Center is a brand new building this year.   They are just starting their pottery class program.   Guess what?   Looks like I'm the pioneering teacher!    Maybe I'll even be in charge there.   That would be super nice!   At Beach Art Center  Annamarie is definitely in charge.   (and she lets everybody know it)   At Largo I won't have to ask permission to run the kiln.

Sailing began yesterday.   We had a really super nice day to start.   It was overcast which made it not quite so hot.   There was barely wind for the first race which made easing back into it much better.
The second race,  God made the wind just a little stronger.  The third race,  there was quite a wind, but not so much it was hazardous.   Perfect!    I am quite rusty.   I'm hoping to get better as I get back into shape.

Life is good.

ps... And,  I found out that Allison is pregnant this week,  to boot!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad your doing something that you love...it's not work if you love it.

    Congrats about Allison!!!

    ReplyDelete